MATH 221: Calculus and Analytic Geometry I (DISC 429 and 431)
Office Hours: 3:30-4:30 PM Thursdays and 1:15-2:15 PM Fridays (CST)
The central location for all course-related information (schedule, homework, syllabus, etc) is Canvas. When you have a question, of course feel free to email me but also please consider posting it to Piazza (which you can do anonymously!) so that everyone can benefit from the discussion. It is incredibly likely that someone else is struggling with a similar issue.
At the time of the discussion section, you can join via Zoom using the button below. Note that I will be doing my office hours in the main calculus teams room so that anyone can join. Instructions can be found here.
Worksheets & Solutions
|Thursday, September 3||Precalculus Review||Worksheet 1||Solutions|
|Tuesday, September 8||1.5 The Limit of a Function||Worksheet 2||Solutions|
|Thursday, September 10||1.6 Calculating Limits Using the Limit Laws||Worksheet 3||Solutions|
|Tuesday, September 15||1.7 The Precise Definition of a Limit||Worksheet 4||Solutions|
|Thursday, September 17||1.8 Continuity||Worksheet 5||Solutions|
|Tuesday, September 22||2.1-2 Derivatives and Rate of Change||Worksheet 6||Solutions|
|Thursday, September 24||2.3 Differentiation Formulas||Worksheet 7||Solutions|
|Tuesday, September 29||2.4-5 Trigonometric Functions & Chain Rule||Worksheet 8||Solutions|
|Thursday, October 1||2.6 Implicit Differentiation||Worksheet 9||Solutions|
|Tuesday, October 6||2.8 Related Rates||Worksheet 10||Solutions|
|Thusday, October 8||3.1 Maximum and Minimum Values||Worksheet 11||Solutions|
|Tuesday, October 13||3.2-3 Shapes of Graphs||Worksheet 12||Solutions|
|Thursday, October 15||3.3-4 Shapes of Graphs and Limits||Worksheet 13||Solutions|
|Tuesday, October 20||3.4-5 More Curvy Graphs and Limits||Worksheet 14||Solutions|
|Thursday, October 22||3.7 Optimization Problems||Worksheet 15||Solutions|
|Tuesday, October 27||3.7,9 Optimization and Antiderivatives||Worksheet 16||Solutions|
|Thursday, October 29||3.9, 4.1 Antiderivatives and Areas/Distances||Worksheet 17||Solutions|
|Tuesday, November 3 🗳️Go Vote!🗳️||4.2 The Definite Integral||Worksheet 18||Solutions|
|Thursday, November 5||4.3 The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus||Worksheet 19||Solutions|
|Tuesday, November 10||4.4-5 Indefinite Integrals and Substitution Rule||Worksheet 20||Solutions|
|Thursday, November 12||6.1-2 Inverse and Exponential Functions||Worksheet 21||Solutions|
|Tuesday, November 17||6.3-4 Logarithmic Functions and their Derivatives||Worksheet 22||Solutions|
|Thursday, November 24||6.6 Inverse Trigonmetric Functions||Worksheet 23||Solutions|
|Tuesday, December 1||6.8 L’Hospital’s Rule and 5.1 Areas Between Curves||Worksheet 24||Solutions|
|Thursday, December 3||5.1 Areas Between Curves||Worksheet 25||Solutions|
|Tuesday, December 8||5.2 Volumes||Worksheet 26||Solutions|
|Thursday, December 10||5.3, 5.5 Cyclindrical Shells and Averaging Functions||Worksheet 27||Solutions|
|Final Review||Worksheet 27||Solutions|
It is okay if you get confused. Luckily for us, there are many great resources for the modern calculus student.
- Your fellow classmates should be your primary resource. Post to Piazza as yourself or anonymously to discuss material with the people that are learning it at the same time as you.
- 3blue1brown is an amazing source for intuition about all sorts of things. His exposition and animations are really polished. Absorb the Essence of Calculus series and you’ll be off to a great start.
- Paul’s Online Notes are very clear and have worked out examples and practice problems. His notes are good at getting to the practical things you need to know to solve problems.
- Professor Leonard basically taught me all of Calculus 3. He also inspires me to work out. Seriously, check him out.
- WolframAlpha can compute answers to essentially any calculus query that you enter, although the free version will not provide worked out solutions. Fortunately, UW Madison provides a license to Mathematica which properly contains WolframAlpha.
- Feel free to go to the TA office hours of anyone available, not just mine!
- Need some more math help? See the department page for tutoring and learning options.
- In particular, consider going to Mathlab!
- Need math major advising? See the department page for advising.