MATH 221: Calculus and Analytic Geometry I (DISC 341 and 344)
Office Hours: 9:00-11:00 AM at the Terrace, outside or inside Der Rathskeller
The central location for all course-related information (schedule, homework, syllabus, etc) is Canvas. We have quizzes every Wednesday based on the material of Thursday’s lecture – this is worth 4% of your final grade.
When you have a question, of course feel free to email me but also please consider posting it to Piazza (which you can do anonymously!) so that everyone can benefit from the discussion. It is incredibly likely that someone else is struggling with a similar issue.
If you’d like to offer anonymous feedback to me, click the button below.
Worksheets & Solutions
|Wednesday, September 8||Precalculus Review||Worksheet 1||Solutions|
|Monday, September 13||1.5 The Limit of a Function||Worksheet 2||Solutions|
|Wednesday, September 15||1.6 Calculating Limits Using the Limit Laws||Worksheet 3||Solutions|
|Monday, September 20||1.7 The Precise Definition of a Limit||Worksheet 4|
|Wednesday, September 22||1.8 Continuity||Worksheet 5|
|Monday, September 27||2.1-2 Derivatives and Rate of Change||Worksheet 6|
|Wednesday, September 29||2.3 Differentiation Formulas||Worksheet 7|
|Monday, September 4||2.4-5 Trigonometric Functions & Chain Rule||Worksheet 8|
|Wednesday, October 6||2.6 Implicit Differentiation||Worksheet 9|
|Monday, October 11||2.8 Related Rates||Worksheet 10|
|Wednesday, October 13||3.1 Maximum and Minimum Values||Worksheet 11|
|Monday, October 18||3.2-3 Shapes of Graphs||Worksheet 12|
|Wednesday, October 20||3.3-4 Shapes of Graphs and Limits||Worksheet 13|
|Monday, October 25||3.4-5 More Curvy Graphs and Limits||Worksheet 14|
|Wednesday, October 27||3.7 Optimization Problems||Worksheet 15|
|Monday, November 1||3.7,9 Optimization and Antiderivatives||Worksheet 16|
|Wednesday, November 3||3.9, 4.1 Antiderivatives and Areas/Distances||Worksheet 17|
|Monday, November 8||4.2 The Definite Integral||Worksheet 18|
|Wednesday, November 10||4.3 The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus||Worksheet 19|
|Monday, November 15||4.4-5 Indefinite Integrals and Substitution Rule||Worksheet 20|
|Wednesday, November 17||6.1-2 Inverse and Exponential Functions||Worksheet 21|
|Monday, November 22||6.3-4 Logarithmic Functions and their Derivatives||Worksheet 22|
|Wednesday, November 24||6.6 Inverse Trigonmetric Functions||Worksheet 23|
|Monday, November 29||6.8 L’Hospital’s Rule and 5.1 Areas Between Curves||Worksheet 24|
|Wednesday, December 1||5.1 Areas Between Curves||Worksheet 25|
|Monday, December 6||5.2 Volumes||Worksheet 26|
|Wednesday, December 8||5.3, 5.5 Cyclindrical Shells and Averaging Functions||Worksheet 27|
|Monday, December 13||N/A||Worksheet 28|
|Wednesday, December 15||N/A||Worksheet 29|
|Wednesday, September 15||Quiz 1||Solutions|
|Wednesday, September 22||Quiz 2|
|Wednesday, September 29||Quiz 3|
|Wednesday, October 6||Quiz 4|
|Wednesday, October 13||Quiz 5|
|Wednesday, October 20||Quiz 5|
|Wednesday, October 27||Quiz 6|
|Wednesday, November 3||Quiz 7|
|Wednesday, November 10||Quiz 8|
|Wednesday, November 17||Quiz 9|
|Wednesday, November 24||Quiz 10|
|Wednesday, December 1||Quiz 11|
|Wednesday, December 8||Quiz 12|
|Wednesday, December 15||Quiz 13|
It is okay if you get confused. Luckily for us, there are many great resources for the modern calculus student.
- Your fellow classmates should be your primary resource. Post to Piazza as yourself or anonymously to discuss material with the people that are learning it at the same time as you.
- 3blue1brown is an amazing source for intuition about all sorts of things. His exposition and animations are really polished. Absorb the Essence of Calculus series and you’ll be off to a great start.
- Paul’s Online Notes are very clear and have worked out examples and practice problems. His notes are good at getting to the practical things you need to know to solve problems.
- Professor Leonard basically taught me all of Calculus 3. He also inspires me to work out. Seriously, check him out.
- WolframAlpha can compute answers to essentially any calculus query that you enter, although the free version will not provide worked out solutions. Fortunately, UW Madison provides a license to Mathematica which properly contains WolframAlpha.
- Feel free to go to the TA office hours of anyone available, not just mine!
- Need some more math help? See the department page for tutoring and learning options.
- In particular, consider going to Mathlab!
- Need math major advising? See the department page for advising.